Monday, June 22, 2009

A Mercy byToni Morrison


The title of Toni Morrison's new book, "A Mercy" makes me tremble and my arms get goose pimples. Amazing the way she can put one word or two words together making my emotions go all jittery with delight or sadness. I am always in for a bittersweet treat with any words Toni Morrison chooses to write down and publish as a book.


"In "A Mercy" there are people who have known what it's like not to be loved and those who have known love. There is Sir, Rebekkah, Lina, Florens, Sorrow, Twin, the freed blacksmith and more characters. Each character's life is a memorable story, a book in itself.

In the Seventeenth century religion was around every corner: Baptists, Anabaptists, Separatists, Presbyterians, Catholics and Protestants and also the secret, foreign gods of the slaves. With all this religion, there is also deep hatred, feelings of superiority and greed. These feelings lead to evil bartering for flesh. Other time these other emotions lead to a clinging together becoming as one like in a marriage until each person gains the strength to survive in this new world.

Jacob Vaark is one of the few men who hates the selling of human flesh like chattel. His presence gave me a sense of safe relief. His death made me sad. Born a orphan he sympathized with other needy human beings no matter the color. Perhaps, it's his lack of a real home that leads him to build more than one home for himself looking for a spiritual security. Looking for a place where he can give and receive love.

I favored some characters in "A Mercy." I favored Sorrow. Her life is the one I will remember. Sorrow changes her name after the birth of a daughter. She changes her name to Complete. Wow! That was so powerful for me. I can't tell the story here without spoiling it. At the end of the book I felt complete. I had also witnessed A Mercy.

I feel honored just trying to write a review of Toni Morrison's book. The book, the plot is swollen with wisdom and beauty. I remember the words "motherlove." Oh, how can I stop sharing this book? With Toni Morrison book, there isn't an ending. There is just a resting place. Her book "A Mercy" is as refreshing as water from a rolling brook in the mountains. Thank you Toni Morrison. May you live a long life always with a pen and paper nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment