Monday, June 22, 2009

Neecy's Lullaby by Cris Burks


Neecy's Lullabye by Cris Burks

"She had wings, beautiful jewel-colored wings, and she would use them, yes, she would and fly....fly....east of the sun, west of the moon."

There were many places in this novel where I literally had to put down the book, walk away and pull myself together emotionally. "Neecey's Lullaby" by Cris Burks is about Neecey and her family living in Chicago during the fifties. Neecy isn't living the American Dream with a happy family, the white fence around the yard, slumber parties with friends or bike riding in the park.
Neecey is trying to survive each twenty four hours. At an early she becomes a mother to herself and her siblings. If it's possible, she became a mother to her mother. Neecey is existing in a topsy turvy world created by grownups.

For me, the positive side of this book is that Neecey didn't drown in the raging waters around her. This book made me think again about how much it means to remain strong while everything around you is lopsided and ugly. For a woman to be strong is not an insult. It is a honor.

The book definitely made me angry too. I wanted to scream. "Stop! don't you see what you're doing to these kids?" Perhaps, this is what Cris Burks wanted from me. I hope Cris Burks would have been proud to know "Neecey's Lullabye" made me cringe, shriek and groan.

As adults our power to plant a seed with love or to plant a seed without love is a magnificent, wondrous duty. The task is not to be given to other children. Although, in the book Neecey learns how to nurture and nourish other children and grownups before she is a grownup herself.

Neecy's Lullabye is a book I will always remember the rest of my life. I have decided if a book makes me sob, stamp my foot, it is a book worth drawing closer to my heart. That type of book is written treasure. A book like "Neecey's Lullaby" can change lives in this generation and, I think, in future generations. Thank you, Cris Burks.

No comments:

Post a Comment